I am a Trustee of British Muslims for Secular Democracy, which is a recently formed and diverse group, with the following aims:
- to get Muslims properly engaged in the democratic process;
- to counter the prevalent negative stereotype of Muslims;
- to break the destructive stranglehold which the lunatics (helped by some in the media) seem to have on the image, identity and psyche of the Muslim communities;
- to ensure that theology does not stifle education and democracy;
- to ensure that no individual, group or gender has any theological or regressive cultural values imposed upon them.
The website is www.bmsd.org.uk